SPRINGFIELD – April 3, 2014 – (RealEstateRama) — Illinois EPA Director Lisa Bonnett today, as part of the Agency’s Earth Month activities, announced household hazardous waste collections have been scheduled in eight communities for spring 2014. Through household hazardous waste collections, citizens are given the opportunity to safely dispose of unused or leftover household products commonly found in homes, basements and garages. Today’s announcement is part of Governor Quinn’s agenda to protect our natural resources and ensure a clean and healthy environment for future generations.
“The Illinois EPA is pleased to work with community partners to offer this important service to Illinois residents,” said Director Bonnett. “These community household hazardous waste collections are essential in ensuring that hazardous materials are disposed of properly.”
The one-day collections are scheduled from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Saturdays for:
• April 5, 2014 Shawneetown, Town Square, Posey Ave., Gallatin County
• May 3, 2014 Palos Hills, Moraine Valley Community College,
900 W. College Parkway, Cook County
• May 17, 2014 Taylorville, County Fairgrounds, Christian County
• May 17, 2014 Countryside, 5550 East Ave. (adjacent to City Hall), Cook County
• May 31, 2014 Wood River, Wood River Refinery, IL Rt. 111, Madison County
• June 7, 2014 Lewistown, Farm Bureau, 15411 N. IL 100 Highway, Fulton County
• June 21, 2014 DeKalb, Northern Illinois University,
Lot 25, Rt. 38 & W. Stadium Drive, DeKalb County
• June 28, 2014 Blue Island, Eisenhower High School, 12700 Sacramento Ave., Cook County
Illinois EPA also continues to support the following long-term collection facilities:
• Naperville, Fire Station #4, 1971 Brookdale Road, DuPage County
Hours: Saturdays 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM, Sundays 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM, Phone: 630-420-6095
• Rockford, Rock River Reclamation District, 3333 Kishwaukee, Winnebago County
Hours: Saturdays 8:00 AM – 4:00 PM, Sundays Noon – 4:00 PM, Phone: 815-987-5570
• Chicago, Goose Island, 1150 North Branch, Cook County
Hours: Tuesdays 7:00 AM – Noon, Thursdays 2:00 AM – 7:00 PM, and
First Saturday of every month 8:00 AM – 3:00 PM, Phone: 312-744-7672
• Gurnee, 1311 N. Estes Street, Lake County *Other collections are held through the Solid Waste Agency of Lake County (SWALCO). Contact SWALCO by phone: 847-336-9340 or website: www.swalco.org for more information.
Since the creation of the household hazardous waste collection program in 1989, nearly 431,000 Illinois households have been served. A total of 478 one-day events have been held, and more than 84,500 fifty-five gallon drums of toxic materials have been collected from Illinois residents.
Through the collections, residents are encouraged to bring oil-based paints, thinners, chemical cleaners, unwanted pharmaceuticals, mercury and mercury-containing items, antifreeze, motor oil, gasoline, kerosene, weed killers, insecticides, pesticides, adhesives, hobby chemicals, household batteries and similar products. Fluorescent and other high-intensity discharge lamps may also be brought to the collections. The public is encouraged to find alternative uses for latex paint since it is not considered hazardous.
Items not accepted include explosives, fire extinguishers, smoke detectors, medical waste, sharps, controlled substances, agricultural chemicals and all business wastes. Propane tanks and lead acid auto batteries cannot be accepted at most of the events, but should be taken to local recyclers.