State’s federal disaster declaration request approved by President Obama
METROPOLIS, IL – March 06, 2009 – (RealEstateRama) —. On Thursday at 3:00 p.m., at the Metropolis Community Center, 900 West 10th St., Governor Pat Quinn formally announced that President Barack Obama approved the state’s request for federal assistance for nine southern Illinois counties that were damaged by a severe winter storm in January.
“This ice storm was devastating to southern Illinois,” said Governor Quinn. “It is very reassuring, especially during these tough economic times, to know these nine counties will receive federal financial assistance so that southern Illinois can continue to move forward with the recovery process.”
Earlier this year, Governor Quinn issued a state disaster declaration for Alexander, Gallatin, Hardin, Johnson, Massac, Pope, Pulaski, Saline and Union counties. All of those counties are included in the federal disaster declaration, which allows local governments, municipally-owned utilities and electric power cooperatives to recover 75 percent of expenses associated with the ice storm.
“January’s ice storm dealt a tough blow to a part of southern Illinois that experienced another ice storm and major flooding in the past year,” said Illinois Emergency Management Agency (IEMA) Director Andrew Velasquez III. “This federal declaration is great news because it will help these counties recoup much of their response and recovery costs related to the storm.”
Assessment teams with the IEMA and the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) met with officials in the affected areas and determined the costs incurred for response and recovery from the storm could add up to more than $16 million.
Quinn was joined by mayors, county officials and emergency service representatives from the nine counties, as well as IEMA Director Andrew Velasquez.